Gulab jamun is a favourite dish with most. But there are a few who cannot tolerate/digest casein or milk protein and gluten present in traditional Gulab Jamuns. Why should these people be deprived of this delicious dessert? So this recipe came to my mind, which is made with sweet potato and rajgira flour. Sweet potato is easily available and the same with rajgira flour.
Rajgira flour is made from the seeds of Amaranth or Amaranthus. This contains no gluten and is used in baking cakes and breads and for making pastas. Somebody called it 'pseudo grain flour'. When I made it, my granddaughter loved it and wanted more. That made my day! So you can try it too!
|Sweet Potato (Boiled and Mashed)||1 ½ cups|
|Rajgira Flour (Amaranth Seed Flour)||3 tbsps|
|Water||1 ¾ cups|
|Cardamom Powder (Elaichi)||1 tsp|
|Saffron (Kesar)||few strings|
|Rose Water||a few drops|
|Oil||for deep frying|
- Take a bowl and combine boiled and mashed sweet potatoes and ragira flour to make a dough.It should not be very soft but firm. If soft a little more of rajgira flour can be added but not too much. The gulab jamuns may become too hard if too much rajgira flour is added.
- Make about thirty to thirty two balls with the mixture and keep it aside.
- Make a syrup with sugar and water by boiling it together.Add saffron and cardamom powder to it and remove from the heat. But keep the syrup warm.
- Take oil for deep frying in a pan and fry these gulab jamuns four or five at a time on low heat till they are golden brown and not dark brown.
- Put these balls directly into the warm syrup and let them soak for ten minutes.
- Sprinkle a few drops of rose water and finely chopped pistachios and serve.