This dessert, I thought, is innovative and good as a gluten free recipe. If one wants to make it casein free which means without milk, either rice milk, almond milk or more of coconut milk can be used. Sweet potato and sago, as you all know, is good for health. In India we make a variety of porridges(kheer or payasam) for any auspicious or happy occasion. The sweet potato makes the payasam thick, it lends consistency. This dish is especially nutritious as jaggery (unrefined whole cane sugar) is used instead of white sugar, and it is rich in iron. You can try it.
This recipe serves six to eight people.
|Mashed Sweet Potato||½ cup|
|Cooked Sago||¼ cup|
|Powdered Jaggery||¾ cup|
|Coconut Milk||½ cup|
|Crushed Cardamom||1 tsp|
|Saffron soaked in Milk||1 tbsp|
|Fried cashewnuts and Raisins||2 tbsps|
- Take a big pan and add the milk.Boil it till it thickens.
- Add the cooked sago and cook it.Then add the mashed sweet potato,coconut milk and mix well and boil it together.
- Cut off the heat and add the jaggery so that the milk does not curdle and melt it by stirring.
- Then slowly reheat the mixture and once it is boiled well, add the saffron and cardamom powder.
- Remove from heat and serve it hot or cold in a serving bowl garnished with fried cashew nuts and raisin on the top.